Sue Neill-Fraser – evidence went missing

Andrew L. Urban.

It wasn’t only direct, probative evidence of Sue Neill-Fraser’s guilt that was missing in the case that has convulsed Tasmania and concerned the nation. According to Colin McLaren’s new book, Southern Justice (Hachette), evidence went missing during and after the police investigation

In the chapter Interpol, On the Run, Colin McLaren writes: “Each day was filled with searching for and sifting through records, files and court documents to find missing evidence.” Or find that evidence has ‘disappeared’.

To understand the importance of the missing evidence, it is useful to know the context, the basics of the case:

Susan Blyth Neill-Fraser is an Australian from Hobart, Tasmania, who was arrested and charged with murder on August 20, 2009. In October 2010, she was tried and convicted of the January 26, 2009 (Australia Day) murder of her partner Bob Chappell on board their yacht, Four Winds, anchored on the Derwent river in Sandy Bay, Hobart. Chappell’s body has never been found, no murder weapon was produced at her trial, there were no eyewitnesses and there is no forensic evidence linking Neill-Fraser to the murder.

She and Bob Chappell, her partner of 18 years, had brought their jointly owned Four Winds down from Queensland to Hobart just a month earlier. It was a retirement dream.

LEFT: Sue Neill-Fraser pictured on Australia Day, shortly before the prosecution claimed she murdered Chappell.

Her 2012 application for leave to appeal to the High Court was refused. Neill-Fraser’s lawyers wished to recall then 15 year old homeless girl Meaghan Vass (pictured below), whose DNA was found on the yacht, and whose testimony at trial was found to be misleading. The DPP argued that the DNA was ‘a red herring’ and she had never been on the yacht; her DNA was probably transferred onto the deck on the boot of a policeman. Neither the jury nor the appeal court nor the High Court were made aware that the DNA sample came from a pool of fluid about the size of a pancake.

According to the witness who lived in a car on the foreshore at the time of the murder, Stephen Gleeson, Vass was carrying a bag that Gleeson thought contained food.  McLaren joins the dots: “This dovetails with the burglary in Blackmans Bay that same night, when seafood and alcohol were stolen. The police report of this incident was the one in which someone had tried to obliterate the name ‘Megan’. (It’s worth recalling in this context the vomit found in the laundry of Four Winds, samples of which were taken by a forensic scientist for toxicology examination. The samples went missing.”

McLaren identifies another piece of missing evidence, relating to 15 March 2010, when the police investigation was in full swing:

“Maverick’s (pseudonym for the lead detective) next request was for information on calls to and from Meaghan Vass’s mobile phone number. This time, rather than ‘information purposes’, he gave ‘murder’ as the reason for his inquiry. The authorising officer for this request was Inspector Peter Powell, the head of the task force that charged Sue Neill-Fraser with the murder of Bob Chappell. While this frantic search for information about Meaghan was happening, Neill-Fraser was on remand and awaiting trial. Maverick made more requests for information throughout 15 March 2010. Each time, ‘murder’ was cited as the offence being investigated.

“In the file there was also a photocopy of a notebook page dated 15 March, which may have been taken from Maverick’s notebook – it’s impossible to say. The entire entry has been obliterated. All the evidence was pointing towards numerous potential suspects in the death of Bob Chappell.

“Maverick heard back about Meaghan’s phone records. There were ‘10 raised’ results. What were those results? They don’t appear on the file. Who did Meaghan ring, and who rang her around the time of Bob Chappell’s death?”

“Chris Dobbyn, the marine surveyor looking after the insurance broker’s interests, has overseen the response to hundreds of yacht disasters. He also went on board the crippled Four Winds. He recalled seeing a fresh rope burn on the inside surface (the lining wall) of the skylight hatch above the blood-stained lounge suite. It was so fresh that the rope mark appeared white against the tan-stained surface of the lining wall. This is another observation that supports my theory that Bob’s body was hauled through the hatch using a rope. This rope burn was photographed, but didn’t feature in police analysis of the crime scene.”

“Inside the saloon, above the blue lounge suite and about a metre or so above floor level, there were unexplained scuff marks on the wall, way too high above floor level for any normal behaviour. This was near to the barometer and wall clock, where the rope dangled into the saloon. There were fingerprints, too, at the same height. Yet there is no analysis report on these prints. The fingerprints and scuff marks were photographed by police; however, they withheld this information – more than fifty images – from Sue Neill-Fraser’s defence team until 2017when I got to view all the police images.”

And sometimes, it was a case of ignoring evidence before it could hurt the prosecution’s narrative that targeted Sue Neill-Fraser:

“Gleeson voiced his frustration at the way his evidence had been repeatedly ignored: in 2009, when he walked into Hobart Police Station a couple of weeks after Bob’s disappearance and told a policewoman that he suspected his best mate, Pablo (pseudonym), was involved in his murder; and in his 2012 police interview with Detective Inspector Powell, when he repeated this belief. He was blunt. ‘The purpose of the interview [in 2012] is to twist it [his evidence] around … it clearly shows that it was corrupt and designed to stop me from telling the court what I’m telling them now … I’d call the interview a threat … an attempt to scare me off from this case.’ ”

This entry was posted in Case 1 Sue Neill-Fraser. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Sue Neill-Fraser – evidence went missing

1. Garry Stannus says:

Andrew, with regard to your statement, “Neither the jury nor the appeal court nor the High Court were made aware that the DNA sample came from a pool of fluid about the size of a pancake” :

The trial transcript records that Debra McHoul said in XNN that the area was “slightly smaller” than 210 by 260 millimetres in size.”

I had had difficulty with Colin McLaren’s ‘dinner plate’ descriptor for the area of the Vass deposit, and likewise I had thought your “about the size of a pancake” was problematic. That was because I had thought that within the area sprayed with luminol, only some “possible drops” had given a positive reaction. In my mind this was in opposition to describing the area of the Vass deposit as being the size of a ‘dinner plate’.

However, I have returned to the trial transcript and, after checking the following passage (672 39):

“Now give me the size of the area that tested positive….Yes, well approximately 210 by 260 was the size of the area that I drew, so the actual area that was posited would be slightly smaller than that.”

I suggest that the word ‘posited’ which appears in the trial transcript, might actually have been ‘positive’ … which rendition would fit both the context of the question and that of the answer. In either case, however, I now accept that the ‘Vass deposit’ was not just of some apparent drops, but was of an area of approximately 210 x 260 mm which included the “possible drops”.

Your ‘pancake size’ descriptor, and likewise Colin McLaren’s ‘dinner plate’ are both appropriate.

I understand – possibly sourced from McLaren’s book – that samples from certain ‘vomit rags’ taken from the Four Winds are now missing, though I think that the actual rags might still be in the possession of the authorities. I believe that the defence sought to have them tested, though I have heard no mention of this having been done.

Having both heard and read examination of witnesses by counsel, I realise again that such examination and cross-examination is not framed to simply understand the evidence that the witness is giving, rather, it is often designed to ‘corral’ the witness into supporting/destroying the narrative constructed by either counsel.

In my opinion, our court system is not about establishing the truth, it’s about ‘having a winner’. It’s time, Andrew, for an inquiry, for a Commission to establish that truth, to find out what actually happened. Regardless of what decision Brett J will bring down, and regardless of what an Appeal Court or Retrial Court might find, should Brett allow the application for leave to make a second appeal, we still will need to know what actually happened.

• andrew says:

Thank you Garry, fine observations. I suggest that the scientific evidence concerning the size of the deposit was not highlighted. The measurement would have been inconsequential to the jury at the time, unless they were alerted to the significance of its size in the context of the suggestion that it was ‘probably carried aboard on a policeman’s boot’. The High Court should have been asked to refer to this evidence when considering the leave to appeal. If truth is the first casualty in war, it is also the first casualty in an adversarial justice system.

• Geraldine Allan says:

Andrew, even if it [“… the DNA sample came from a pool of fluid about the size of a pancake”] had been clarified to the jury — as well it ought have been, I reliably add that having been in a jury room during which somewhat muddled and confused discussion re DNA evidence took place, I can assure you that generally speaking, ordinary members of the public (the jury) find difficulty comprehending the reality of this complex scientific evidence.

Nevertheless, had it been offered to the jury in plain-speak, as you put it, “… the DNA sample came from a pool of fluid about the size of a pancake”, there is a reasonable possibility it may have been more clearly understood and considered quite differently to how it seems it was at the time of trial.

2. LB says:

Andrew, I attended the High Court for the SNF matter. It was an eye opener. The size /volume of the said DNA deposit (frustratingly) was NOT described. A number of extraneous issues WERE presented when the hearing (as I understand it) was meant to be about a point of law! I am still appalled that this snow – balling scandal has not been fully exposed – despite numerous articles, documentaries and advice from eminent Counsel; where is the transparency, fairness and the requirement to assist the court(s) ? In my view, the whole sorry saga has been plagued by inaccuracies, incompetence and a dogged unwillingness to even consider any review. UNACCEPTABLE.

3. Shane Sinnitt says:

Indicative of how little Colin McLaren and Andrew urban actually know about the truth of the Neill-fraser case, she was charged with the murder in August 2009, so what is all this about march 2010?

How could two author’s of books on that very case, in all of their research, get that so wrong? Is it deliberate?

I have not previously read any of these posts, now I know why.

I won’t bother again either.

• andrew says:

Thanks for the note Mr Sinnitt, but I can’t find the error you allege. The DNA found on the yacht was matched to Meaghan Vass in March 2010, when Sue Neill-Fraser was awaiting trial. If that is not correct, please advise.

• Beverley CJ says:

What Sinnitt is saying that whatever March 2010 evidence you are talking about is irrelevant to the reason and the evidence on which Sue was charged.

• Geraldine Allan says:

I’m confused Beverley since I didn’t interpret the Sinnitt somewhat vague comment as have you.

In the context of (i) Colin McLaren’s book, (ii) the current application before the Supreme Court, the March 2010 “evidence”, is in my understanding, indeed relevant.

Furthermore, relating to that date, I find the specified details in the original post alarming, worrying and — in need of serious examination/explanation.

4. Aldo says:

Having read the Court of Appeal judgement i really don’t see any probative value in the missing images nor Vass’s DNA. The evidence against Neill-Fraser is compelling and damning. There is no silver bullet that i can glean from any of the points raised in Undercurrent and given McLaren’s comments in the TV investigation i’ll take any revelations with a grain of salt.

• Craig the sailor says:

It was pointed out recently that Colin Maclaren’s book doesn’t mention the winch on the main mast that had a winch handle in it and rope going to the skyline hatch. Keep this in mind when watching Undercurrent.

• Geraldine Allan says:

Aldo, I am curious as to what in particular in the CCA decision leads you to consider no probative value to the missing evidence?
      My view is that considering the current application before the court as it relates to “fresh & compelling” evidence and how that it interpreted in the legislation, the “revelations” as you above-refer are critical, surely?

• Aldo says:

There’s no shortage of unproven speculation by the show’s producer re a number of issues. If the so-called fresh evidence was compelling then the courts would need to re-investigate but that’not the case in my assessment.

5. Peter Innes says:

As a water person i have problems with any weight given to a fire extinguisher being able to hold a body down for any length of time.The defence should have done a practical test in ocean conditions.Something stinks.

• Robin Bowles says:

Yes Peter, this is the fist time I’ve seen this issue raised. Why wasn’t this much-mooted theory tested? During research for my book, Death on the Derwent, out 19 Feb, I emailed more than 100 forensic scientists (members of the Aust Inst.of Forensic Scientists) asking about that very point. The replies were many and varied, but the one that seemed to summarise the argument was from a couple, who ‘argued’ over the concept for hours, they said. In the end they came back to me saying’ ‘Think of a half-empty Coke bottle …’ and also ‘ it would also depend on whether the person was dead or alive, as if unconscious, air in the lungs would have assisted flotation for some period of time’. Another issue is that the tide was still coming IN at around midnight (1.04m for you fisherfolk and weather enthusiasts) and there were NO stars or moon until 4.30am (approx). Black sea, black sky, Mr Hughes (who saw ‘a probable female’ motoring out) must have 20/20 vision! Has his eyesight been checked? So a floating body/fire extinguisher would be carried UP stream at first, then, if still floating, down to the sea when the tide turned. My belief is there was NO fire extinguisher, has any cord/rope/ chicken wire —Triffitt’s evidence!, been found on 4W, other than the usual sheets (ropes)? The reason I say it became obvious to me that disposing of Bob was a ‘2 man job’ was that when I sat in the saloon it was obvious that the steps don’t line up.
      (Photo in my book).
      For Sue to pull Bob up this way would have been a much greater degree of difficulty than a straight haul, especially with Sue’s bad back (documented), body snagging on stuff and in the timeframe allocated. Much easier and plausible for two guys to head and toe him, carry him up and chuck him overboard. The current would have done the rest. Anyway, the extinguisher was a red herring, in my view.
      The prosecution’s OWN TIMETABLE, put to the jury, was that Sue had about 20 minutes (Hughes alleged sighting at midnight, car CCTV heading home at 12.25am) to board 4W to kill Bob, set up the complicated winching device, get him up the companionway, lash him to a fire extinguisher, drop him into dinghy, motor out and toss the body, go back and clean up and scuttle boat, leave dinghy on shore loose, walk to car and drive up Sandy Bay Rd. Impossible and why Gunson didn’t point that out? Who knows? But that’s why three books, a movie and a TV series, none connected with Sue before starting, are ALL asking these questions! (My surname IS Bowles, but I’m no relation, for the record.)

• Gregory W says:

A photo doesn’t lie – Photo 7 of the crime shows that the winch on the main mast had a rope going to the skylite hatch. The winch had a handle in it. The body was likely winched through the hatch. One person can do that.

• Geraldine Allan says:

Codswallop, in this given situation and the context of overall evidence including but not limited to, all photos.

6. Geraldine Allan says:

As a general observation, I consider that if I were “Maverick” at this point in matters of issue, I would be carrying a spare pair (or two) of underpants in my pocket.

7. Gus says:

By todays standards it seems farcical that Sue is even in prison, without anything but circumstantial evidence, it seems highly more probable that 2 males (most likely) boarded the yacht in search of contraband of some description, and not expecting to see anyone on board, so be it the rest is unfortunate history. Also obviously Richard King is a key witness, how do you phone someone to effectively warn them something bad was going to happen on the yacht the not of Bobs disappearance, you were either involved or knew of or even simply overheard something, if someone phoned me at home to warn me my natural instinct would be to go and check on the yacht/Bob also, I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that Tasmania’s murder/solving murder percentage is pretty good I doubt there’s to many unsolved murders down there, my point is sometimes perfect records and success can sometimes blind important facts and maybe even hastily make critical errors, going off what I’ve seen I hope Olivia Newton John has a rock solid alibi or she’ll potentially be behind bars if the Hobart detectives had anything to do with it.

Good Luck to the families with the investigation, and if we ever figure out how to clone people can Colin McClaren be the first and we’ll put one in each state and territory.

8. Geraldine Allan says:

Gus, increasingly I am ‘curiouser and curiouser’ re the Richard King phonemail, and source of his knowledge. I do not accept any 6th sense or premonition, sayso.